Thursday, February 20, 2014

Caribana 2013

So my new thing now for jampacked party weekends that occur concurrently is to participate in at least two of the festivities rather than just one. I simply don't think my fun should be limited to one place when there's just as much or probably more fun happening at the same damn time somewhere else. That's just not fair to us live-lifers, so I decided to to body Caribana and Dream Weekend in the same week. I personally cannot stand the fact that Dream/SPF Weekend (and other Independence Day party weekends) in Jamaica, Carnival in Toronto (Caribana), Carnival in Barbados (Crop Over), Carnival in Antigua, Drake's OVO concert in Toronto, and a carnival in one more place that I was told of but cannot recall, all occur the same year every year; just as Mardi Gras in NOLA, Trinidad Carnival and Carnival in Rio de Janeiro all take place the same time due to their strict correlation with Ash Wednesday and biblical beliefs. So instead of always going out to one and missing out on the rest, I now attack two major celebrations and have less to worry about (aka be mad about if I'm not there). Always on the go. I hardly have any pictures from Caribana because it was too crazy. I have to shed light on the love the city of Toronto has for carnival. It is even a televised event; you hear it on the radio and see it advertised all over. I love the fact that it is such a big deal. No carnival in America treats a U.S. city carnival with as much respect as Toronto does theirs; it's incredible. Before carnival time started, I explored the city by myself while my cousin left me alone at his spot and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I always have a unique type of fun on solo adventures. Toronto is a dope city and I will be back to see what the nightlife is about, possibly catching an OVO concert would be a cherry and mangoes on top. Carnival festivities tired me out, including one massive water/paint jouvert party that I can't remember the name of, but we stampeded to get in with the rest of the crowd (you know we arrived late). And the rest was history.

Met up with some Boston peeps, including Amanda.


My time in Toronto was short but well spent. Caribana is a recommended carnival just because of its massive size, and because, to me, it is very cultural. I plan to do it again soon. I highly recommend jumping with Saldenah. They by far have the best costumes and what I later found out, exceptional customer service. Their location includes a giant warehouse filled with carnival vibes: food, Soca music, and lots of costumes being made, altered, or tried on. I always aim to jump with the best carnival band whenever I go to a place where I'm not sure if I'll be back again. Take heed. Jump with Saldenah. And of course, they took home #1. I will definitely be back in Toronto to flex with my cousin again, beautiful place and I have yet to see what lurks at night.



0 comments:

Post a Comment