Sunday, February 27, 2011

Volunteer With 'New York Cares' Today!

New York Cares is an awesome organization where tons of New Yorkers volunteer for different projects in New York. The projects range from helping kids, to going to elderly homes. My first project was walking dogs at an animal shelter! There's so much to do, so many to help.


I must say, it is quite an experience to walk dogs for the first time. I'd do it again, but I got small bite by a huge dog that sensed my fear as I kept jumping whenever he tried to get a pet from me. I know the trick now, don't be scared! Other than that, I had fun with these two little doggies.


My 2nd project was reading bedtime stories and doing arts and crafts with underprivileged kids. Awesome time and I plan to go back to this very same place again.



Before going to the mandatory orientation, I could tell from the site that I was going to like this program. After moving to New York for college, I didn't find the time to do what I was so accustomed to doing back home in Boston, volunteering. Now, I made myself find the time. One day I just went online and started to search for ways to volunteer in New York, and I found this awesome site, http://www.newyorkcares.org/.

Orientation inspired me. And I know once you're in front of the speaker you'll be inspired too. There were an eclectic set of people there, surprisingly, tons of older people in the working class of New York. I always expect college kids or younger kids to be doing these types of things. Especially with the New York working class, they're always on the go. I never knew they would find the time to volunteer, which amazed me. There are so many in need in NYC, so many things to fill your hands with, as you will learn in orientation. This post is to spread the word out there about New York Cares. My first project was amazing and I look forward to putting more of my help towards those in need. I'm hoping to work with kids or the elderly next time. I had great experiences with both before. I'd also like to try painting murals around the city. There's such a variety for you to choose from.

The process is really easy when trying to volunteer with New York Cares:

1) Go to their site, http://www.newyorkcares.org/
2) Sign up
3) You'll have to pick a day most convenient for you from the dates offered to do an orientation (mandatory before being allowed to volunteer for projects)
4) After orientation, they'll enable your ability to start adding projects (on the site, under your account) that you want to add to your profile


I hope you take my offer and sign up with them. I personally believe helping, in any way to any whom, alleviates the soul. It's a wonderful embark in life.

Feel free to contact me for more info or inquiry. I'd be more than welcome to help:
bianca_yulanda_rose@yahoo.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment