Saturday, February 1, 2014

22 Things To Do For My 22nd Birthday!

So for those that don't know me, that's probably a good thing, because I freaking put every goal and every travel plan in life on my Mac and I'm aware that it's not normal (OCD with organization and clarity). It took me years to share this revelation. But I'm no longer fearful of being a weirdo.

So below (italicized) is an exact replica of the document I conjured up for my 22nd birthday plans. I decided to do 22 things for my 22nd birthday! Simple. Isn't it? And fun it was! I must share that I did not get a chance to do #s 1 or 5. The Statue of Liberty was closed for months due to one of those bad winter storms (I believe it was Sandy) and I ended up having to keep postponing the pole dancing class. I DID have Breakfast at Tiffany's (#18) and I DID get Jamaican-ratchet (#15) in the boogie down Bronx (didn't get to do the lacefront, prom dress or excessive gold jewelry but I WILL one day - longtime dream of mines).

-----------
22 things in NYC: Mar 1st - Mar 26th

1: Statue of Liberty
2: Volunteer with New York Cares
3: Hudson River view
4: Skiing
5: Pole Dancing Class
6: Beauty and Essex
7: Nets game
    •     http://www.ticketsnow.com/InventoryBrowse/Brooklyn-Nets-Tickets-at-Barclays-Center-in-Brooklyn-2-13-2013?PID=1309570
8: Empire state $25 http://www.esbnyc.com/buy_tickets.asp
9: Cafe Habana
10: MoMA (free 4-8pm Fridays) http://www.moma.org/visit/plan/offers#admission
    •    Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh, The Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dali, Diego Rivera collection (until May 14, 2012), Frida Kahlo (My Grandparents, Parents, and I AND Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair)
11: Dean and Deluca
12: Broadway Show
13: Lavo club
14: 40/40 club (7pm game)
15: Get Jamaican ratchet at a Bronx party: wear prom dress, put on a lot of make up, wear a lot of bling, bruk out with girls
16: Amorino!
17: PrĂȘt A Manger
18: Breakfast at Tiffany's with the girls
19: Central Park walk
20: Chelsea Piers $3 batting cages http://www.chelseapiers.com/fh/drop-in/batting-cages.cfm
21: Gansevoort rooftop - Plunge
22: Gaza


March 4 (Mon) = 1
March 5 (Tue) = 17
March 6 (Wed) = 5
March 8 (Fri) = 10, 4
March 9 (Sat) = 3, 20, 19
March 12 (Tue) = 14
March 13 (Wed) = 12, 15
Mar 16 (Sat) = 2, 16, 8, 11
Mar 18 (Mon) =
Mar 21 (Thur) = 9
March 25 (Mon) = 21
Mar 26 (Tue) = 18, 6
April 11 (Thurs) = 22

-free museums
-find a lot of free things
-do customary/basic NY things (that might be free)

------------

And I love how I put "free, free, free" in these plans and had no experience of such! I get a high off of taking advantage of free or discounted [quality] things (hence the bargain hunter in me) because I simply end up saving money for things that need to be paid for. Makes sense? I feel like I've conquered the world! This will always be my mentality, regardless if heaps of money happen to swing my way.

On the morning of my actual birthday, I didn't have school but I had my internship to go to. I woke up and felt great since it was my burfffday. My boss got me a piece of red velvet cake (he remembered that I liked it from a previous convo -- I thought that gesture sweet). After work, I got ready for the rest of my day.





 Now it's time for the 22 things! There aren't pictures for everything because I didn't take pictures everywhere. Sometimes pictures aren't even necessary and prevents us from really savoring the moment. So I'll share what I do have. And for the record, whatever I didn't do I will eventually do. And I'll fully complete this blog post whenever I do *winks*. 

1: Statue of Liberty 
(separate occasion; while on a cruise with my buddy Mike)

2: Volunteer with New York Cares 



3: Hudson River view
(separate occasion; but I lived across from the Hudson, so I often jogged/spent time here)

4: Skiing at Mountain Creek in New Jersey
(for the first time ever! It didn't take me long to learn)

5. Pole Dancing Class


7: First Brooklyn Nets game 
(the energy is crazy in Barclay, Brooklyn Nets is my 2nd favorite team, go figure)


8: Top of the Empire State 


9: Cafe Habana, finally!


10: MoMA 

Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh
The Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dali
Andy Warhol's Campbell Soup 
Frida Kahlo (My Grandparents, Parents, and I AND Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair) 
Diego Rivera collection


11: Dean and Deluca 
[(just because I haven't been lol; 
I bought my croissant from here to eat at Tiffany's (seen below at #18)]

12: Broadway Show


13: Lavo for their brunch party


14: 40/40 Club with Yves




15: Get Jamaican ratchet at a Bronx party
(with my girl Lisa and nicca Marlon)
[I didn't get to go all out with the lacefront (is that how you spell that?) and bling bling but I WILL eventually]




16: Amorino!
(I first tasted Amorino's gelato in Paris, now addicted to gelato)
 
17: PrĂȘt A Manger
(Just because I've never been...again lol)

18: Breakfast at Tiffany's 
(the day of my actual birthday;
 another one of my wacky ideas at the same exact place as Audrey Hepburn)


19: Central Park walk

20: Chelsea Piers with my boy, Marlon


21: Gansevoort 
[brought in my birthday with my girls (Yva, Aurora and Marj) and my cousins (San and Demetria) at Toy in the Gansevoort]








22: Gaza
(I made a poster for for World Boss that I shared here and in Jamaica)



Aside from my original plans, a few other events popped off. While at St. John's University, CSA (Caribbean Students Association) put on the first Caribbean Spring Concert in years at St. John's. We also made history with making the most revenue for any org event there. It was very eventful and celebratory. We put in so much WORK: literally, blood, sweat and tears. We were denied money so many times by the school (since they really didn't believe we'd pull this off -- NOBODY believed in it if you ask around really)and had to make it work through other sources. I have to give it up to the president at the time (Shantaur Williams) because she needs credit, the whole team did exceptional and Mr. Vegas, Rikroot (Konshens little brother on the rise) helped us carry out history! I also have a newfound respect for Vegas. He worked with us so well and knew the struggle we had with our school and Caribbean respect. He knows how to PERFORM. He is by far one of the best Dancehall entertainers I've seen. Actually,
I can only name four (Kartel, Vegas, Beenie and Ele), and I've seen A LOT. Mr. Vegas passion and seriousness for his work is shown right through him. And on top of that, he's the most down-to-earth, friendliest, humble guy in Dancehall thus far. I no longer choose to listen to any nay-say about him. We then went headed to Konshens & Mavado's show at Amazura (I believe it was). Extremely fun night with my girls that came from Boston (Moriah and Amanda)!


The next day Amanda dragged me to some Soca party at Maracas with a whole heap of Soca artists, including Destra and Ravi B pictured below. End up bucking my girl Missy.





My birthday month was by far popping! March just happens to be Women's History Month and that alone is a gift to me. I also favor this month out of all (and of course you're going to find all the pluses of whatever month is your birthday month) because of spring, and I believe spring is a symbol of a newfound aliveness. "After winter, must come spring." #laurynhilltip  The one thing I can count on life is spontaneity, life always gives spontaneity no matter how much we plan. That's why I plan. It was a great month.

0 comments:

Post a Comment