Tuesday, January 21, 2014

MILAN, ITALY!


 
Let me just start off by saying Milan is everything it is in the movies lol. Good, that's out the way. WEALTH, WEALTH, WEALTH. EVERYWHERE. IT'S LIKE A PLAGUEEEE.

But also beautiful architecture lol. 

It was a small trip since I went solo. I had a few must-dos prior to my arrival. As soon as I arrived on the train, I grabbed a map and started to map out where I should go. Can I just comment on how easy it is to navigate through Europe? I could backpack a whole year throughout that place without fear, solo! Gelato upon arrival!
                                                                


 



 Then there's the super famous Quadrilatero d'Oro. The number one thing crossed off my list. Although I'm not into fashion like I used to be, I couldn't refuse to see greatness. This is where the richest, the most valuable shop on a daily basis or while on vacation. Milan is truly the fashion capital. I have to maintain my respect for Paris but I have to take my hat off for Milan. Literally everybody that was in my peripheral vision walked and looked as if they were silently saying, "bitch, I'm rich." I had on a True Religion jacket, a beanie and pair of shades from F21 and H&M respectively, a shirt where I can't remember the brand, Joe's Jeans and carnival boots I brought back from participating in London's carnival. I stood no chance.

 





 


It was time for more roaming!
 
 

I encountered pleasant surprises; one major reason I love to be in my own little world, focus is needed to discern art. The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II wasn't on the list. I never heard of it prior to getting to Milan, but I always make it a duty to find out what the must-sees are once I get in a city I am not familiar with. I discovered this and quickly researched its history. The most renowned fashion brands have stores here. When there, I seen a peculiar crowd close to the center of the glass-topped, masterpiece-like building. Everybody was taking turns spinning on a bull (that I later found out was called Torino's Bull). So I watched carefully and followed suit, planning to research its importance when I could get wifi -- which I did lol. If you spin on the bulls balls, superstition sends luck your way.

 

 World famous opera house


My list for Milan was small. One of the main things I wanted to see, however, was not seen (by me, at least). I wanted to see Da Vinci's The Last Supper in Santa Maria delle Grazie. Not only was the church closed (yes it's in a church, very common for artwork in Europe), but you have to make an appointment monthsssss in advance. I was PISSED, and I was ready to pay the 25 euros. In Paris, you get to visit almost every museum for free or a discounted price if you're a student. I saw the Mona Lisa, the number one painting in the world, for FREE...more than once. I don't even think it was more than 20 euros regularly priced if I did have to pay to get in the Lourve; and that would be to see HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of art pieces. I already have plans to come back and shop when I'm super rich, so if that works out, I will be back. *rolls eyes*


More roaming...




And of course, the number one thing to do on my list was to see the Cathedral. I didn't go inside because I only wanted to see it in its enormity. I had enough of cathedrals by this point. Beautiful. Jaw-dropping. Star-striking! This was my first and last thing to see in Milan. I wanted that "seen through my hands with one eye" picture of the Cathedral in my memory forever. 








Milan is all the luxury and class you heard about.


0 comments:

Post a Comment