Saturday, January 8, 2011

Strength in What Remains


"I'm reading "Strength In What Remains" by Tracy Kidder right now. It is because of this book why I decided to put it down for a minute and write this blog entry.  It's been 15 minutes and I'm on my 5th paragraph, that's how much adrenaline is causing me to type this fast. This book is a must read. I'm not even done yet and I'm telling you all that you MUST read this book. Escaping multiple genocides in Africa, making Central Park's grass your bed at night time, getting paid $15 a day by a store owner that pokes you with a stick like you're a slave, to become a Columbia University undergraduate, Dartmouth graduate, and a doctor -- and then GOING back to help the same place where you ran from. This book is too much, I can't wait to finish this entry so I can attend back to this reading."

This was an excerpt from a previous blog entry I wrote called Inside Life: The Significance Of Lending A Helping Hand. I finished the book months ago and now I want to recommend it. This book tells a story of a man named Deo who fled from his country while there was war, became a homeless man in New York, slowly built his way up into being a Columbia graduate, and returned to build a clinic in his town. It is a remarkable and touching story, almost unbelievable. To hear the story from Deo's point of view makes it all the more interesting. His life is like a movie. I won't be surprised to see it on a big screen soon.





More blog entries on recommended books:

0 comments:

Post a Comment