Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Bridge of San Luis Rey

Written by Thornton Wilder in 1927, The Bridge of San Luis Rey tells a story about five interrelated people who collapse with a famous bridge in Peru. This is one of the books that I have read in my College English course this year. It has become my favorite of all time simply because it answers a reality question that I've always wanted to know, just didn't know how to address it. Thornton Wilder posed the question, "Is there a direction and meaning in lives beyond the individual's own will?" In other words, does everyone die for a reason?

Photobucket

I found this book offhandedly interesting, instantly. I was already comfortable reading it because it's a short book, and I'm sure many people would prefer a short book regardless if you love to read, so I gave in relentlessly. As I started to read though, I became intrigued. It was a real life question answered by a fake life situation, but it was all so real. The story is started with Brother Juniper, a monk from France, witnessing the collapse of the bridge. He wonders why these five people, at this specific time, on this day, on this bridge, dies? He decides to take a scientific approach to it.

In the course of five to six years, Brother Juniper interviews any and everyone he can find that knew the victims. He makes a book out if it, which is later burned along with his own body by the public, because it is often said (from my experience) that you never question the works of God. Never. Surprisingly, there is one more copy that was found at a library that lives to tell the story of the five victims.

So I'm not going to sit here and give you a synopsis because this isn't Sparknotes but I actually do give everyone a recommendation to read it. Towards the end of the book, you find out that some of the victims had some of the same people in their lives. You see, because of the five deaths, it brought certain people from each victim's life together, in order to benefit hundreds of other peoples lives. One quick example, the Abbess and Dona Clara meet at the funerals, where both eventually realizes how valuable the deceased is and how important love is, since each victim who died had some type of drama going on in their life. It also benefits the Abbess, because the wealthy Dona Clara is able to help out the many children that the Abbess fosters. One of the victims that died was one of her children that she gave to Dona Clara's mother, Dona Maria, that was also one of the victims. The Abbess and the child had a very close relationship and she loved her dearly. The Bridge of San Luis Rey simply bonds people, relatives, and families, more together. It stills a lesson on each life, as well as proving things for the better.

I actually wrote about this on my supplement for a college and I felt it was a really good one, unique.

I have learned from this book that everyone does die for a reason, well that's my belief, and I agree with Wilder. A fantastic book to read and I think everyone should read it, fairly short but compelling.


More blog entries on recommended books:

0 comments:

Post a Comment