Thursday, April 15, 2010

Bacchanal Jamaica 2010!

This particular vacation to Jamaica was special for 2 reasons. 1) It was my first time going to carnival in Jamaica, and 2) It was my fist time ever playing mas (wearing a costume)! One of the best experiences of my life, even when it rained.


For those who don't know, carnival is a big event in South America, the Caribbean, and even in the states. I'm not sure about how certain countries conduct their carnival, but I know for Jamaica, Trinidad, and America, there are different groups that jump (dance) and in different costumes. Usually the fee is around US$100 but it is well worth it. My cousin, and my friend from NY who came with me, all jumped for a section called Bacchanal Babes. It was the only section that you had to apply for in order to get accepted or declined, and it was also the only section strictly for girls. Many of my people didn't get in, but luckily us 3 did. The costumes were GORGEOUS. I loved every minute being a Babe and the treatment we received. I also loved another group called "Frenchmen" costumes.

     

There were many advantages of being a Babe, when it came time for the hour break (to rest, eat, and drink), we had our own section separated from all other sections. It was like barbie town, all you seen was pink. Bacchanal is an all-inclusive event for all who are participating (all who are wearing costumes), so the food and drinks (including alcohol) were free. I should also note that the alcohol was in abundance. There were even trucks designated on the road to provide the Socaphiles with drinks. I loved this, seeing that this could NEVER happen in America. People easily get irresponsible. In in the Caribbean, it is a way of life.


From left to right: Shalisa Rose, Ashli Rose, Bianca Rose (my cousins). <3

With friends...
We were rained on, but it was all good because Jamaica was facing a drought! Glad to have water come on the day of Bacchanal, it only showed the importance of the event more! :)

More photos...
  

And lastly to end off this blog, here's a picture of Shalisa, Nancy, and I in Jamaica's newspaper, the Gleaner. We were front page! The only thing that was going through our head was, why us out of all people? Lol nonetheless we were ecstatic. Unfortunately Nancy and I already were on our way to NY, but the non-stop texts & Facebook messages were enough for us to understand what was going on. Indeed, the Easter break was a great one. I would do it all over again, same friends, same costume, same rain, same everything.

                                                                                          
                                                                                 
Click Here To See The Article Itself



0 comments:

Post a Comment