Thursday, May 20, 2010

Reading Is A Mind Stimulation

I don't believe a lot of people realize how significant it means to read. It is something that I grew to realize. If younger people realized it, there would be less violence in the streets, and more profitable knowledge obtained in the youths' heads.

I find it easier to read books on genres that you like. I can never enjoy a book if it is not an interesting genre. Urban Fiction is popular amongst younger people because it usually involves sexual activity. Older people also enjoy books involving sexual activity but with more romance involved rather than just plain old sex. All of us are different. There are a wide range of books available for all types of people.When I was younger, I only wanted to read Zane books. The first book that I read that caused me to fall in love with reading was "The Coldest Winter Ever" by Sister Souljah. There is not one young African-American girl who has not read this book, it's like part of life. If you haven't, you need to get/rent it. It is the reason why I continue to read today. Yes, it changed my life. After getting into Boston Latin for high school, I was required to read more books that have to do with English literature, all of which included authors like: Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Maya Angelou, Zora Neale Hurston, Mark Twain, Lorraine Hainesberry, Langston Hughes, plus many more. I then began to fall in love with books from these authors, in addition to Urban Fiction, something new in my life. My love for reading only increased.

Reading keeps the mind stimulated. You learn things from reading. It exercises your brain. It keeps you occupied with something productive to do. It enhances your knowledge. These are all just a few reasons of its importance.
 
                                                              


Because of my love for reading, I'm reading more and more everyday. I have to say one of my favorite authors is Oscar Wilde. His work is entertaining, and even though he's not a modern author, there are certain things in his writing that exhibits modern day doings. History repeats itself. His work is very funny to me. You have to read thoroughly to understand what he's saying. I've read a lot of books by Teri Woods, Zane, Omar Tyree, Noire, Karrine Steffans, Sapphire, and Sister Souljah. Since I've started to read all these books from my younger days, I decided to make it a mission to finish all of these artists' collection eventually. We're talking about/over 100 books here, but I'm ready and willing. I finished the Sister Souljah and Karrinne Steffans collections so that already motivates me more. Make a goal, stick to it.

My all-time favorite is Rochelle Alers. I've read over 25 books of hers. Here's an email I wrote to her.

Good Evening Ms. Rochelle Alers,

I've waited for the day to communicate the love I have for your written work, and that day came when I came across your email in "The Blackstone Promise" work of art. I'm not quite sure what held me back from seeking out your email via internet, but I'm sure it has something to do with all of my time being dedicated to school, work, and reading your books.

I came across a book of yours for the first time as a very young high school student. The book was Island Bliss. I fell in love with it because it gave off a realistic aura of love. Because I was still in my teenage years, I reversed back to reading books by Zane since it was the "it" thing.

Years later, I wanted to evolve into a better woman, and with that including my lifestyles, day-to-day activities, and doing more healthier things for my mind and body. Reading more mature and realistic books were one of them. I then decided to Google names that were similar to "Island Bliss" because it had been so long that I couldn't remember the name, much less your name. Miraculously I put in the right words and recognized the cover. I know you aren't the only author, but your work was my favorite. I then went to the Boston Public Library and checked out all of the books they had for you there.

I cannot explain how important reading your books are for me in my life. I read your books to achieve serenity. For a young woman that has had a not-so-good history with relationships, and can't seem to find the right guy, your books provide such an invigorating hope that I cannot explain. Upon other things, I read your books to release stress. That has never happened by any other author's work I've read. I will literally be on a beach, at work, in my room, or on a train just reading until I can't stop. I've finished more than 1 book of yours in a day. It has never taken me longer than a week to read one of your books (and that's only because I'm so caught up with work to do), as a more stronger, independent, and mature 21-year old woman.

It has been over 3 years that I've been reading your books. As I get older, I get faster at reading them. They become more and more enjoyable. I have read over 20 of your books so far and have about more than 50 more to read. Although, I'd like you to stop so I can catch up, I don't know what I'd ever do after a finished your last published book! What would I do?

Your work is a complete inspiration. I can never get enough. I can always relate through some aspect, and like I said, it gives a young woman like me hope for love. I believe I'm doing everything right for my mind and body, but I have yet to have what I've always been yearning for so I can settle down with one man: unconditional love, care, and attention.

Please take a look at my website. I did a post called "Alers vs. Zane" when I was quite young (late high-school or early college) and compared the experience I had with the work of 2 authors I read mostly through my "reading" career. The post is under "books" with the aforementioned label.

www.mynameisbiancastar.com

Please continue to give you're adored fans more. All the best. May God continue to give you that everlasting power he has been giving in order for you to keep giving us such beautiful work. No one's romance is as realistic and heart-warming as yours.


Wit Love & With God,

Bianca Rose


Getting a library card is very cheap. If I was to buy all of the books I've read (I'm talking hundreds of dollars here) then I would be broke. I do buy books but renting is a lot cheaper and convenient. Go to your library, sign up for a library card, and start renting out those books! It is worth it. I find it easier to read when I'm commuting on the bus/train/anywhere but home (where I can easily be allured to my comfortable bed and fall asleep) but we are all different. Find a comfortable place to read, whether it's in a lounge, the library itself, Starbucks, a park, anywhere, and make yourself at home. Read. Pretty soon you'll find yourself becoming addicted to the library, always wanting to check out books. I recently found out you're allowed to check out 75 books out of Boston Public Libraries, I went crazy. With this said, I hope you, reader, find the time to go even check out one book. Maybe after reading the first book, you'll get the hang of it, or better yet, enjoy it. I hope you do.


Books I enjoyed and recommend:
True To The Game 1, True To The Game 2, True To The Game 3, No Disrespect, After Hours, Afterburn, The Sisters of Apf, G-Spot, Thong on Fire, Hood, Hittin' the Bricks, Alibi, Sex Chronicles 2, Sex Chronicles, Rosie's Curl and Weave, Addicted, Nervous, Deadly Reigns 3, Deadly Reigns 2, Deadly Reigns, Reckless Surrender, Careless Whispers, What They Want, Flyy Girl, Midnight: A Gangster Love Story, The Vixen Manual, The Vixen Diaries, Salome, Island Bliss, The Lost Boy, Things Fall Apart, Number the Stars, The Coldest Winter Ever, Not Without Laughter, The Odyssey, Black Boy, A Raisin in the Sun, Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story, Push, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Great Expectations, Jane Eyre, Freak the Mighty, The Joy Luck Club, The Kitchen God's Wife, A Child Called "It", Huckleberry Fin, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, The Great Gatsby, Skyscraper, The Color Purple, A Girl Named Disaster, Lord of the Flies, The Trumpet of the Swan, Macbeth, An Ideal Husband, Beowulf, A Woman of No Importance, Maus, Maus 2, Gulliver's Travels, The Importance of Being Earnest, Lady Windermere's Fan, A Passage to India, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Confessions of a Video Vixen, Pride and Prejudice, The Kite Runner, Hamlet, Julius Caesar, The Namesake, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, Invisible Man, The Bridge of San Luis Rey, King Lear, Song of Solomon, Coraline, American Dreams, Dear G-Spot, Black Wings & Blind Angels, Honey Flava, Head Bangers, The Heat Seekers, Dutch 2, Dutch, Single Mom, Shame On It All, Long Time Coming, Strength In What Remains, A Do Right Man, Diary Of A Groupie, Breaking The Cycle, The Good Life, Bittersweet Love, Another Time Another Place, Renegade, Hideaway, Butterfly, Taken By Storm, Heaven Sent, Vows, SatisFaction, Harvest Moon, Sweet Persuasions, Twice The Temptation, Midnight and the Meaning of Love, El coronel no tiene quien le escriba, Sweet Southern Nights, Sweet Dreams, Breakaway, Man of Fantasy, Here I Am, A Younger Man, Beyond Business, The Bluest Eye, Memoirs of a Geisha, Private Passions, Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, Fifty Shades Freed, Act Like a Lady - Think Like a Man, Lessons of a Low Country Summer, A Very Private Duty, Tar Baby, Sula, The Book of Mean People, The Big Box, Remember, Peeny Butter Fudge, Jazz, Home, Little Cloud and Lady Wind, Who's Got Game? Poppy or the Snake?, Who's Got Game? The Ant or the Grasshopper?, The Dancing Mind, Love, A Time to Keep, A Mercy, Happily Ever After, A Deeper Love Inside: The Porsche Santiaga Story, Paradise, Desdemona, The Alchemist, Rich Dad Poor Dad, I Declare, The Secret, Seat of the Soul, Good to Great, Conversations with God, Girlboss, Tuesdays with Morrie, The Rose That Grew From Concrete, Ishmael, The Mastery of Love, Peace is in Every Breath

0 comments:

Post a Comment