Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Favorite Poems, Thus Far

Recently I've been getting a lot into spoken word. I think it's one of the most creative ways to express emotions, realities, tragedies, opinions, etc, accuracy being gratuitous. Here are some of my favorite artists.






Poet: Suheir Hammad
Poem: First Writing Since
Link: http://www.youtube.com/embed/0fhWX2F6G7Y

Suheir’s form of speech is phenomenal. Her words are clear. It seems like she strives to evoke clarity in all of her poems, and that clarity brings so much to her performance. Fist of all, I already find it superbly amazing that this young woman is a Palestinian from out of Brooklyn. The impact of Brooklyn on her is more than evident. You hear the Brooklyn in her voice. I personally always thought that the Brooklyn dialect was cool: it’s bossy, it’s thorough, and it’s catchy. It’s not just her dialect that makes it evident that she has a Brooklyn influence, but it’s also quite evident in what she says in her poems.

 --------



Poet: Thea Monyee
Poem: Woman To Woman
Link: http://www.youtube.com/embed/mhOnqPkEvmc

So this girl is a Cali girl, but Thea Monyee also possesses the same bold and brazen woman qualities Suheir eludes through her poetry. When I watch this piece, all I see is the movie Friday, and all versions of it (lol), pertaining to the women particularly. As opposed to Suheir Hammad though, Thea Monyee has a rougher and tougher approach in her voice. Thea’s voice says “I am a strong, African-American woman—and I’m proud. I’m not to be messed with.” I loved Thea’s work because she says it exactly like it is. Suheir is more abstract in her poetry.  Thea’s poetry is more comprehendible for a beginner in understanding spoken word, as I. Suheir hardly smiles, but Thea starts off very warmly, getting us comfortable and eager to hear what she has to say. Her movements reveal our anxiousness in hearing what she is about to say or do, just like how she starts off this poem. Everything she says holds confidence in it.

 --------


Poet: Alysia
Poem: That Girl

This poem was tough. You can tell that Alysia either been through what she is speaking about or feels it through the people she knows of that go through it. A lot of girls can relate to this poem. It is the truth, often guys look at us as just a commodity rather than something valuable. Often we are worth so much more than we think, but we fail to realize it because we’re so caught up in the faults a man sees in us, rather than our strengths. The tears seemed so real. This poem was really emotional, and at times I thought she was speaking really fast but I realized that it was because of the intensity of her emotions.

--------


Poet: Alexis Marie
Poem: Corner Boys

            WOW! This poem was so unbelievably tough. It was short, which I don’t condemn, but I wanted more of her! I’m not sure, but I think she was defending boys who sell and deal drugs, boys who are brought up with nothing but try to make the best out of something. It dazzled me how she said weed smokers are artists because of the way they move their tongue to build their blunt, magicians. Her choosing of words is so damn great. Her words have an effect on you but you have to be very attentive and listen carefully to what she is saying so you can get the full grasp of it all. Her movements were all on point with what she is saying. You really felt the vibration though her.

--------


Poet: Mahaliyah
Poem: Reclaim

            This was the last video I watched but the best one thus far. This poem has already hit my favorite list. When I realized Mahaliyah was going to read from the paper the whole time, I didn’t give her the benefit of the doubt and predicted that the effect wouldn’t be as great as oppose to her not looking at the paper. However, I was wrong. What an amazing poem. I felt like the poem transitioned from “I hate you! I hate you!” to slowly reaching to the point where the person asks “why do I hate you?” It was amazing. The transition was smooth because in the beginning when she was mad and showing pure hate, her voice had rigor, but then as she started to question the reasons why she hates, into her not needing to hate anymore and trying to resolve the problem, her voice became softer and more concerned. Amazing. 


If you're interested in more Spoken Word, just Google the term or Google "Brave New Voices." It's a wonderful art. Feel free to be enticed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment